Friday 12 April 2013

It Hurts


What you are doing
To me
I don't know
But it hurts

At night you stay
Seated
On my heart
All your weight
Settled
On this heart
It hurts

Why do you stay silent?
You show me signs
I can't read
Loosen your tongue
This silence
Deafens me
Too loud
In my ears
It hurts

You mold
A lump
With your knowing hands
And lodge it
In my throat
And you breathe
Fire into
My conscience
And sit back to
Watch my brain
In torment
It hurts

Your footsteps
Echo in the chambers
Of my troubled
Spirit
Deep
In the heart
Of my emptiness
An exhibition
Of my sorry soul
It hurts

A thistle-bed
You have given
For my head
I know no rest
It is you
You hold my
Remains
In a chest
Why?
Let me in on myself
This ignorance
The very agony of it
It hurts.

Once again I am on my knees
Sharp stones pierce my flesh
See me bleed
As I bathe in my tears
I am drying up
Once again, I am here
Waiting
For the answers
This waiting
It's killing me
This longing
 Hurts

3 comments:

  1. The repetition of "it hurts" and "once again" helps highlight the theme of the poem. It worked perfectly. I didn't quite understand these lines though: "As i bathe in my tears / i am drying up" and "your knowing hands". Maybe you intended it to be that way. if not, then i feel the meanings are quite vague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a prayer piece sort of. so it was directed to God. I cried a lot the night i wrote this. so much that i could bathe in it. and so i was left dehydrated, not just physically.
    Knowing hands is just to acknowledge that He is God, all knowing...as he moulded that lump, he knew what it was intended for.
    you know,you feel some kind of pressure inside, pushing you to lay open your life and assess it.
    this poem turned out to be the beginning of a beautiful journey that i will release bit by bit here.

    PS. Should you know everything? eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. you know me. i'm a curious human being. anyway, its clearer now. i can't wait to see the other 'bit by bits'...;-)

    ReplyDelete