Friday 9 November 2012

BEASTS


Once upon a time,
The rhythm 
Of our delicately merged hearts
Beating 
Skipping
Racing
When for the first time 
Our eyes met
Was the music 
We knew
The only tune 
We could dance to.

Once upon a time,
We were both 
Human.


But now 
These hands
Once innocent 
And fragile,
Are trembling.

This tired head 
Holds 
Too much evil
Too heavy 
For my heart 
To bear
So it fell out 
As I journeyed here, 
Heartless!

My tears 
Have frozen 
Midway 
Down my cheeks.
For the melody 
In your heart 
Has turned 
Discordant

To you, 
I have become 
A lowly servant
And my mind 
With deep loathing, 
Leaks.

You 
Have made pain 
A constant 
Companion
In this damned body 

The desire 
To spill blood
Your blood
Is like large 
Flesh-eating 
Termites
Crawling up 
My every opening
Feasting greedily 
On my insides

What is happening?

Must I stay 
Like this 
Forever
Dining 
With the very image 
Of my fears?

Must I, 
Remain flat-faced 
On the floor
Prostrate 
Before the beast 
You have now become?

No!

A year of happiness 
Was all I had.
Then you took 
As a mistress
That tall, 
Elegantly shaped
Intoxicating 
Green 
Bottle

Then 
You made me
Your whore
Your laundry basket
Your refuse bin.
You practiced 
Amateur boxing
On my belly
Swollen with a son
Our son

Three in a row
You boxed out 
Prematurely.
The last 
Cost me 
My womb

Vampire!
You sucked 
The human 
Out of me
And now
Now
We are both beasts.

So let us waltz 
Towards your grave 
My beast.
All through our steps 
Recalling
Those early nights 
You spent 
With me

You once laughed 
With me
But now 
We have drank poison 
Together
Bitter-sweet poison 
Together
So let us go
Let’s go dance 
On your shiny 
Marble 
Grave.


2 comments: