Saturday 23 February 2013

REBIRTH (Bringing down 'Jericho Walls')


The words in Claude McKay's famous sonnet, 'If we must die', has managed to disturb the seeming quietness that existed in my heart till now.


If we must die, let it not be like hogs

Hunted and penned in an inglorious spot,

While round us bark the mad and hungry dogs,

Making their mock at our accursèd lot.

If we must die, O let us nobly die,

So that our precious blood may not be shed

In vain; then even the monsters we defy

Shall be constrained to honor us though dead!

O kinsmen! we must meet the common foe!

Though far outnumbered let us show us brave,

And for their thousand blows deal one death-blow!

What though before us lies the open grave?

Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack,

Pressed to the wall, dying, but fighting back!

Those last two lines keep ringing and ringing in my thoughts. I bow my head now in shame, because I feel I have not done enough, or said enough, or written enough. I have not made enough noise. Now I look back at the words of Malcolm X; "If you want something, you had better make some noise", and I feel even more ashamed that I got this far before seeing all I am seeing now. Our existence today as Africans cannot be detached from the existence of Black-Americans out there. I must admit, before recently, I never really felt a part of them as they mostly feel a part of us. In my eyes, they were Americans. Now something is happening to me, that I can only share. A sudden awareness of black history and how it has shaped African society today, as well as the African-American society. I thank the Lord I decided to major in English Literature. I now know I am not crazy. I was meant to get to this point where my eyes are being opened to heart-wrenching realities that existed and still exists, in the Black Diaspora and in Africa. 

When I think back to the last two lines of Mckay's 'If we must die', I don't envision violence, no. Rather I itch to call out to young African writers like myself to fight, by channeling the voices of our people through the pen and unto paper. I call out to them to make noise, so much noise, the 'Jericho Walls' that have been put up after centuries of White hegemony and supremacy, will crumble! We can't stay silent. We just can't. The plague - our plight itself will come searching for the African/Black writer, whether he/she likes it or not, as it is in my case. So we have no choice. We cannot choose to stay silent. 

Revolutions have been sparked off by heroes and heroines before us - 

There are even more names than these. And in our times, we have those ahead of us; Kofi Anyidoho, Ama Atta- Aidoo, Kojo Laing, Kofi Awoonor, Mawuli Adzei, other great Ghanaians and Africans. They carry our voices, and it makes me proud, but they are not ageing backwards! I look at myself, then turn around to look at other writers my age, or close to my age, and I want to believe we can keep this going. I want to believe we can make the necessary noise to effect changes in our world. There is so much to say, with so much to learn from. An immense store of inspiration that lies in wait for those who will seek for it, or like me, those who will chance upon it. We have been given much, but I wonder, do our people even expect anything? I feel like we have moved into an era where oppression is silent, camouflaged. Slavery comes in different shades. The black man's mind still has a long way to go. Progress has been made, of course. But it is not a rose-garden scene yet. Not at all. Most lay black men, and I'm afraid to say, still feel inferior. They feel beneath the European or the American. It is an Oburoni fever that needs to break. Everything Western has got to be good and everything local is not or for the poor. The poor eat the Tugyimi rice, and the rich eat the perfumed, long grain, imported rice. 

"Anytime you find someone more successful than you are, especially when you're both engaged in the same business - you know they're doing something you aren't" This was said by Malcolm X in his autobiography. The struggle now, I believe is, especially here in Africa, is not so much against the Western world, at least not directly. It is against some of our political leaders, who although tag themselves as the 'elite' of our societies, are modern day 'Uncle Toms' who are only concerned about their personal well-being and quest to keep a hold on power as long as possible. My little knowledge thus far in issues of conflict in Africa in the political science classes I have taken, plus the little I have read, has made me aware of the fact that, there are instances more often than not, when western hegemonic states will single-handedly fund a particular side in a conflict just for exploitative purposes. It boils down to the same thing. Now our leaders betray us and the sting of it leaves us too bitter for our own good. We feel so sick of it all, all the corruption wrapped in the coat of democracy, which in itself is a part of our still very colonized everyday living. 

Malcolm X, though long gone, 48 years to be precise, has left a challenge to those of us here at the other side, we who were left as remnants of what was. We who are the very root, yet ones who have forgotten the story before it all begun. We, 'the root', have sadly misplaced ourselves, forgotten ourselves, betrayed ourselves, willingly given up ourselves. It's a shame. Why were they able to cause drastic changes, Marcus Garvey, Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X Shabazz, our very own Kwame Nkrumah? It was because they did something we are clearly not doing. We are not making the noise! 

I feel different. My mindset has been knocked over and thoroughly changed. It's a refreshing emergence from the smoky ignorance I was stuck in before. I realise now, I've found a voice that was not there before. I realise now, I have just experienced a rebirth that has motivated me to team up with others like me, to make some noise!! And surely, we will.

    

7 comments:

  1. indeed, we need to break the walls of Jericho if we but wish to see the light at end of the tunnel.noise is good, revolution, understandable but i think the African situation has gone past such as these remedies.don't you think our predecessors have made enough noise to ensure that we should have been better-off? personally, i think that prayer is the only remedy left for us because `our vain blows,malicious mockery`(Shakespeare). let us mould our anticipation for the destruction of our enemies into prayer for all people and i believe God will raise this island from the waters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear, you are as right as I hope I am.
    Faith without actions lead nowhere. I talked of the action, you talk of the faith. We can't have one without the other. So pray we must, but the action is also necessary.
    The kind of noise I am talking about is not the 'standing on a podium addressing a crowd' kind of noise. But as writers, using our individual gifts to make that noise in even the fictional pieces we produce.
    Writers like Ngugi Wa Thiong 'O, Wole Soyinka, George Orwell, and many many others were sought after and dealt with by particular governments in their time, just because of their writings.
    Ngugi's 'Matigari' shook up Kenyan government so much that they banned the book, burnt copies in the country and stuff like that. He wrote a novel, a fictional novel with fictional characters but it was loud enough to scare the government, because the common people were reading and becoming aware of certain things. What those before us made noise about is not too much the same things we need to make noise about. They had post-independence issues, post-colonial issues...although such issues still linger on in shadows, we have our present-day issues with leadership, deep-rooted corruption, our people, most of them, still feel inferior to the west in all aspects! A long list of them. When we make these issues a primary part of our thoughts as writers, it will happen like magic. The voices of our people will ring through our works, like magic. And people like you will read, and pass it on, talk about it, share it, and the ripple effect of it will begin to show. And of course, we pray, not just we the writers, but everyone else too. We will let God know that we have planted, and prepared the field, and so we wait for Him to water it, so it grows. God does help those who have a sense of helping themselves, and acknowledge Him as the element that is needed to push it beyond the limit. Martin Luther King not only made noise, neither did he only pray. He combined the two, and today he is not just an American hero, he is hero of the Black diaspora. We are missing something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. are you by any chance taking a course in African-American Literature? well, i think you have made the argument too well to solicit any dissensions. i must admit miracles don`t come because people ask for them alone, but because they see their problems as ones that must alter and commit themselves to securing the desired change. thank you for this insightful reply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...is it that obvious? Yes, I am taking a course in African-American Lit.
      You welcome.

      Delete
  4. I'm so inspired and charged by this piece! Let's talk after meeting come friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's talk after rehearsals come Thursday! Don't forget! lol

      Delete
  5. what do you mean by "our existence...out there"? is this to mean that our own combined local efforts are fruitless unless linked with the efforts of our `diasporan` brothers? while this remains unanswered, allow me to note that this is a very accomplished work. in a somewhat relational and very engaging manner of writing, you succeed in keeping readers glued to their seats from start to finish. i also enjoy the NB that our current problems and modern struggles are within and with ourselves. a good one there!

    ReplyDelete