Saturday 17 December 2011

THE DEATH OF HOME


What 
Is this stagnation I see?
Where 
Did the vultures come from?

We open up our mouths
And 
Beg our own dogs 
To 
Spit in them
Gather up dust
 And 
Throw it
In the corners 
of 
Our eyes
And tomorrow 
We turn around 
And 
Point our lean fingers
Towards history 
that has forgotten itself

Eager to tell tales 
Of accusation…
Blaming
The very wedding party 
We sent invites to

We pull out our lips 
And get them pointed 
Sharp
To pierce 
Through songs, 
Words, 
Acts
That create
 A larger vacuum

Don’t you know
That 
The predators sense 
The darkness?

The one who
Sets the trap 
Cannot be blamed much
It is the greediest 
Among the mice 
That gets itself caught

Let me have my say

Let me talk of the beams 
In our eyes
Crimes we have hid
Decaying truths
That we refuse to preserve


Enough of it!
You sadden me 
With pointless dilly-dallying
Tears 
Trickle down 
My ashen face
Gripped with genuine fear
Of the vultures from 
Our own backyards

There's a center
And 
I’m locked in it
All options are bitter
The strangers 
Are after me
I can’t go there
But...

I can’t 
Go home 

Because last night...
Last 
Night... 
You and I 
With our own hands
Took Home 
Up 
To the ceiling
And dropped her

She broke
Into tiny, 
Microscopic, 
Pieces
Together, 
my people
Together, 
We slaughtered her
So don’t stand there
And give that speech
Don’t sing that song
That continues to blame
And forgets to answer
The questions
 Home screams at us....

From her grave

2 comments:

  1. very interesting, direct and thought-provoking! i think you did justice to the topic. we are so eager to blame others for our folly and self-inflicted misfortune that we hardly ever fathom if there is anything we can do to remedy it. the part about oblivious history is one of my chief delights although i strongly believe that the mouse that is caught by the trap is invariably drawn by a need for survival, not greed per se.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...you have a point about the mice.

    ReplyDelete