Friday 23 December 2011

A lOVE STORY





I carried a heavy load of nothing
I traded my treasured gold for dung
I betrayed the hero of that ultimate love story
I climbed down the tallest tree
And burrowed down black soil

I possessed those idols
With all their vegetable nature
As the deadliest kind of poverty
Gnawed away at my soul

And after I set the table for dinner
I sat to a meal of rotten flesh
And drank of the most poisonous venom

I feasted with smiles
Smiles that never reached my eyes

Memories of that bloodshed
Were locked up in that tiny chest
Tucked away underneath tons
Of emptiness!

I went to sleep - total blackout
A vast abyss of pitch black darkness
No light
Nothing bright
No remnants of rainbows
No flowers
No colours.

Then morning arrived
After years of night
With a lone bird

In my ears, it whispered a name - a synonym of love
Every single syllable settled on my spirit
Tenderly, beautifully
As gold-dust
The rosebud bloomed
Emanating warmth
Blessed heat that
Thawed my frozen heart
Burned down my carnal wall
And set my gods ablaze!

Now my lips itch to sing a new song
Of the name that saved me from myself

Join me if you wish…let’s celebrate freedom
Sing with me if you can, let’s praise the victor
Along with the cherubs that descend to blend
Their angelic voices with the tarnished ones of
Mere, sinful, mortals

2 comments:

  1. What is the purpose of this poem? Is the story about a person who remembers his past with much sadness but has now gained freedom through Jesus Christ? To me, the writer tells us that a life of sin is a life of darkness, with no light to direct your movement. Like walking in a dark place, you can’t tell what is located around you, thus one can stumble and fall at any time. But it is only believing and trusting in the name and power of Jesus that his light will shine to direct and guide us and lead us from this life of darkness to a world of light. It is indeed a love story, a sinner finding true and genuine love in the arms of Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good appreciation there. well done! the purpose of this poem? the message? well i was only praying through my fingers the night i wrote this...you know,not beating myself up for making horrible choices and trading the most important things in life but then recounting where i came from, what i lost and how i got them back just through a name...amazing!

      Delete