Tuesday 28 May 2013

Voices



I am the voice of Yaa Asantewaa

Ɔbaabasia a metwamu kɔ me baabi
Ma abrane, ne akwabrane, ne akwabrafoɔ
Ho woso sɛ ayowa mu nsuo!


Enti motete hɔ reyɛ dɛn ni?

The winds have long swept my footsteps away
Those steps I took, leaving my own blood
As a trail for frail men to follow

Mmm! Mahome rete na adɛn?

You have allowed the very dust of your nature
To take over

As I told Anansesɛm by the fireside,
I never taught you Greed.
As I showed you the dance steps of warriors,
I never sang songs of lies

Ei! Enti mabrɛ ɛgu anaa? 

It was for love that I sliced off my breasts
And exchanged my hand-carved laddle
For a gun heavy with our metallic tears

It was not for me that I tore off
My waistbeads of gold
And in their place tied tight a talisman
That hardened my heart.

Adɛn nti na momu bi agyaagyae moho
 Ama hyɛhyɛnpɛ arere moakoma ama no asa?

I will say no more.
I will go back, sit on my stool and watch
For what I see while seated
None of you here can catch even a glimpse
Of its shadow
From atop the tallest tree
...
I will say no more

4 comments:

  1. nice piece. the twi punch lines are amazing. hmm..interesting theme. our ancestors must be really angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We mostly don't get to read poems about ancestry these days. This is really a wake up call for us all. Touching, I love it.

    ReplyDelete